In an ever-changing world where the youth face diverse challenges in life, it becomes crucial to provide them with the spiritual nourishment they need to grow in Christ. Campus Crusade for Christ, now known as Cru, is an organization that has taken up this mantle and is dedicated to helping college students grow in their faith and positively impact the world around them. In this blog post, we will explore the origins, mission, and various aspects of Cru, as well as how the organization aligns with the teachings of the Bible as presented in the New King James Version (NKJV).
Cru was founded in 1951 by Bill and Vonette Bright at the University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA). The organization has since grown to become a global movement with a presence in over 190 countries. Cru’s primary focus is on evangelism, discipleship, and leadership development among college students, making a lasting impact on their lives and the world at large. The organization believes that the Great Commission, as presented in Matthew 28:19-20, is its driving force and purpose.
As an evangelical Christian organization, Cru adheres to the core tenets of the faith and is committed to spreading the message of Jesus Christ. This blog post will provide an in-depth understanding of Cru, its mission, vision, and values, as well as how the organization supports the spiritual growth of college students worldwide. We will also discuss the various programs and initiatives that Cru offers and how these align with the teachings of the Bible as found in the NKJV.
The Mission and Vision of Cru
The mission of Cru is encapsulated in its commitment to help fulfill the Great Commission, which is recorded in Matthew 28:19-20 NKJV: “Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all things that I have commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age.” Cru seeks to accomplish this mission by focusing on evangelism, discipleship, and leadership development among college students.
Cru’s vision is to see movements of students and faculty who are transformed by the gospel, empowered by the Holy Spirit, and engaged in the mission of God in their communities, nations, and the world. This vision aligns with the biblical mandate found in 2 Corinthians 5:17 NKJV: “Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; old things have passed away; behold, all things have become new.”
Core Values of Cru
Cru’s core values are grounded in biblical principles and help guide the organization’s actions, decisions, and relationships. Some of these values include:
- Faith – Trusting God for the impossible, as described in Hebrews 11:6 NKJV: “But without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he who comes to God must believe that He is and that He is a rewarder of those who diligently seek Him.”
- Growth – Fostering spiritual maturity through discipleship, as instructed in Colossians 2:6-7 NKJV: “As you therefore have received Christ Jesus the Lord, so walk in Him, rooted and built up in Him and established in the faith, as you have been taught, abounding in it with thanksgiving.”
- Community – Building authentic relationships and unity, following the example in Acts 2:42-47 NKJV: “And they continued steadfastly in the apostles’ doctrine and fellowship, in the breaking of bread, and in prayers.”
- Service – Serving others with humility and love, as exemplified in Mark 10:45 NKJV: “For even the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give His life a ransom for many.”
- Excellence – Pursuing excellence in all endeavors, as stated in Colossians 3:23 NKJV: “And whatever you do, do it heartily, as to the Lord and not to men.”
- Innovation – Embracing change and seeking creative ways to fulfill the Great Commission, in line with Isaiah 43:19 NKJV: “Behold, I will do a new thing, now it shall spring forth; shall you not know it? I will even make a road in the wilderness and rivers in the desert.”
Programs and Initiatives of Cru
Cru offers a variety of programs and initiatives designed to help college students grow in their faith and develop leadership skills. These include:
- Weekly Meetings – Cru organizes weekly gatherings on college campuses to provide students with a space to worship, hear biblical teaching, and connect with other believers.
- Bible Studies – Small group Bible studies are conducted to help students dive deeper into God’s Word and apply it to their lives, as urged in 2 Timothy 3:16-17 NKJV: “All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness, that the man of God may be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work.”
- Discipleship – Cru emphasizes the importance of one-on-one mentoring relationships, where experienced believers help guide and equip students in their faith journey.
- Conferences and Retreats – Students have the opportunity to attend conferences and retreats to grow in their faith, receive training in evangelism and discipleship, and connect with other believers.
- Mission Trips – Cru organizes short-term mission trips to provide students with hands-on experience in sharing the gospel and serving others in various cultural contexts, following the command in Acts 1:8 NKJV: “But you shall receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you; and you shall be witnesses to Me in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the end of the earth.”
- Leadership Development – Cru invests in developing student leaders who can influence their campuses and communities for Christ, as encouraged in 2 Timothy 2:2 NKJV: “And the things that you have heard from me among many witnesses, commit these to faithful men who will be able to teach others also.”
In conclusion, Cru is an organization with a rich history and a heart for college students. Its mission, vision, and values are firmly rooted in the Bible, and its programs and initiatives are designed to help students grow in their faith and make a lasting impact on the world. The organization’s commitment to evangelism, discipleship, and leadership development aligns with the Great Commission and reflects the core tenets of evangelical Christianity.
As an organization, Cru has and continues to impact countless lives on college campuses across the globe. By engaging students in a meaningful relationship with Christ and equipping them to serve others, Cru is playing a vital role in shaping the future leaders of the church and the world. It is through the faithful and passionate work of organizations like Cru that the gospel continues to spread and the Kingdom of God is advanced.
So, if you are a college student looking for a community of believers who are passionate about Jesus and committed to making a difference, consider connecting with a Cru chapter on your campus. And if you are a parent, pastor, or church leader, consider supporting and partnering with Cru as they work tirelessly to impact the lives of college students for Christ. Together, we can make an eternal difference in the lives of young people and help usher in a new generation of believers who are equipped to share the love and truth of Jesus with the world.
Finally, let us remember the importance of prayer and intercession for organizations like Cru and the students they serve. As Paul encourages us in Ephesians 6:18 NKJV, “praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, being watchful to this end with all perseverance and supplication for all the saints.” Our prayers for Cru, its staff, and the students they reach play a crucial role in supporting their mission and empowering them to continue the essential work of spreading the gospel on college campuses.
May the Lord continue to bless and guide Campus Crusade for Christ, now known as Cru, as they faithfully pursue the Great Commission and help transform the lives of college students through the power of the gospel. And may we all be inspired by their example to do our part in advancing the Kingdom of God and making disciples of all nations, for His glory and the good of His people.