It’s a common misconception that salvation is a one-time event. You might think that you’re set for life once you’re saved. And while it’s true that your salvation is eternal, that doesn’t mean you can coast from there on out. The Bible clearly shows the dangers of turning away from God after salvation.
If you’re not careful, you can find yourself living in a state of spiritual apathy—never quite feeling satisfied, but never quite feeling motivated to change. That’s why staying close to God after salvation is so important. He’s always there for us, ready to help us along the way. But we must be willing to seek Him out and stay in a relationship with Him.
What Does It Mean to Turn Away From God?
Viral Believer is reader-supported. We may earn a small fee from products we recommend at no charge to you. Learn More
Turning away from God means you are turning away from your relationship with Him. When you turn away from God, you no longer walk with Him and live according to His will.
The Bible clearly says we are to avoid sin and live in obedience to God.
Only God can give us life – eternal life. And only God can give us true happiness. When we turn away from God, we are turning away from the only source of true life and true happiness.
Examples of Turning Away From God
How do you know when you’re turning away from God? Let’s take a look at some examples.
When you start living for yourself and not for God, that’s a clear sign you’re turning away from Him. Another indicator is that you put your own needs ahead of His. When you don’t obey Him or follow His commandments, that’s a third red flag. And when you stop praying or reading the Bible, that’s a sign that something is wrong.
These are just a few examples, but they should give you a good idea of what to look for. If you’re seeing any of these warning signs in your life, it’s time to reevaluate your relationship with God. Don’t wait until it’s too late.
Causes of Turning Away From God After Salvation
You may wonder why someone would turn away from God after being saved. It’s a valid question, and there can be any number of reasons why someone might do this.
Some people may feel like they’re not good enough to be in God’s presence. Maybe they’re afraid of being judged or think they’re not worthy of His love. Others may feel like God has abandoned them or that He’s not interested in them. And still, others may simply be tempted by the devil to turn away from God and pursue their desires instead.
Whatever the reason, it’s important to remember that we’re never too far from God. He loves us no matter what, and He is always willing to forgive us if we come to Him with a humble heart.
Common Dangers of Turning Away From God After Salvation
You face a few dangers if you turn away from God after salvation. First, you risk losing the peace of being saved. Once you’ve been saved, you have a personal relationship with Jesus Christ. But if you turn away from Him, that peace is in jeopardy.
Second, you may find yourself in spiritual bondage again. When you turned away from God, you likely returned to your old ways of living. This can lead to all sorts of problems, both physical and spiritual.
Finally, turning away from God can cause you to lose out on all the good things He has in store for you. When you follow Him, He blesses you in ways you can’t imagine. But those blessings will be lost if you turn your back on Him.
How to Stay Close to God
Staying close to Him is the key to not turning away from God after salvation. You can do a few things to make sure you stay close to God.
- First, read your Bible every day and spend time in prayer. This is how you will hear from God and learn His will for your life.
- Second, surround yourself with other believers who will encourage and hold you accountable. Find a good church home and participate in a small group or Bible study.
- Third, serve others. When you focus on serving others, it takes the focus off of yourself and your problems. Plus, it’s a great way to meet people and make new friends.
If you do these things, you’ll be less likely to turn away from God after salvation because you’ll have a strong relationship with Him.
How to Renew Your Commitment to God After Backsliding
If you have backslidden and want to get back on track, here are some things you can do:
- First, take some time to assess what led to your turning away from God. What were the circumstances that led to your making that choice?
- Second, ask God for forgiveness and commit to turning away from whatever caused you to backslide in the first place.
- Third, find a Bible-based church where you can worship and serve alongside other believers. This will help you stay accountable and encourage you in your faith journey.
- Fourth, get involved in a Bible study or small group where you can grow your knowledge of God’s Word and learn how to apply it to your life.
- Fifth, spend time each day reading the Bible and praying to keep your relationship with God strong.
Remember, salvation is a gift we cannot earn alone. It’s something God offers us, and we should be humbled and grateful for it. God is always willing to forgive us, but we must repent and turn back to Him.
It’s so easy to get caught up in life’s busyness and forget about God. But we need to remember that He is always with us and always willing to forgive us. If we turn away from God, we will only be hurting ourselves. Let’s stay close to Him and be grateful for His love and forgiveness.
Share With Your Friends
Viral Believer has been translated from English into 15 of the world's major languages. Learn More