A webcam is essential nowadays, especially with the number of people working from home. Webcams can be used to stream live entertainment or join work-related meetings and conferences, so it is important to ensure that your webcam operates perfectly. Are you planning to use the integrated webcam on your laptop? How can you test the webcam on Windows 10?
How To Test A Webcam In Windows 10?
To test the webcam in Windows 10, click the “Start” icon at the bottom left of the screen. Go to the search bar, type “Camera,” and click “Enter” on your keyboard. Allow access to the webcam, mic, and, if necessary, location. Once the camera app turns up, you will see yourself appear on the PC screen.
My worst fear is struggling with activating and testing my webcam right before an important online meeting. This article will outline how to activate and test your laptop’s webcam in Windows 10. I included helpful tips you can also try if you experience trouble with your webcam. Let us have a look.
How To Activate Webcam In Windows 10
Activating your webcam on Windows 10 is simple. Here is what you need to do:
- Go to Windows (rectangular icon at the bottom left of the screen), click on “Settings,” and then “Privacy.”
- Under the App Permissions heading, click on “Camera.”
- Select the “Change” button and move your slider to turn on the camera or turn off the camera.
- Afterward, move to the “Allow apps to access your camera” heading. Click on the slider to grant or deny access.
The four steps above usually work but if you still experience trouble with enabling your webcam, try this method:
- Go to the Search bar at the bottom left of your screen and type in “Device Manager.”
- Select “Device Manager.” Once the window opens, select Cameras from the list and choose the webcam you use.
- Right-click on the device you currently use and click “Update Driver.”
- Windows is updating the driver. This is so the camera will keep on running correctly.
By now, your webcam is activated and ready to use. However, you still need to test it to prevent any technical difficulties from happening before using it.
How To Test Webcam In Windows 10
Before live-streaming, test your webcam. It is best to do it early to ensure it works completely. This will allow you enough time to troubleshoot or search for alternative methods to fix your webcam if it is not operating or working. Here are four easy steps to test your camera:
- Click the “Start” rectangular icon at the bottom left of the screen.
- Go to the search bar, type “Camera,” and click the “Enter” key on your keyboard.
- Allow access to your webcam, mic, and location, if necessary.
- Once the camera app turns up, you will see yourself appear on the laptop screen.
Technology can be tricky at times, so extra measures are required if you are one of the few unlucky people encountering trouble with their camera.
Why Is My Webcam Not Working In Windows 10?
There are plenty of reasons why your camera might not be working. Maybe you did not allow access to the camera on the app you are using, your driver is outdated, or antivirus software prevents your webcam use.
- Before testing alternative ways for your webcam to work, try running the camera troubleshooter. Do this by going to Settings> Privacy> App Permissions> Camera. At the bottom of the camera settings, click “Get help.”
Type “Windows camera, troubleshoot” and answer the questions that follow. “Get help” runs diagnostics to find the issue and offer solutions.
If “Get help” did not fix the problem, try updating Windows. To check for an update on Windows:
- Click the “Start” rectangular icon at the bottom left of the screen and select “Settings” > “Update & Security” > “Windows Update” > “Check for updates.” The option “View optional updates” will be available for you to check if there are any updates for your camera. After the available updates are installed, reboot your device.
You can also restart your PC. If you have not done this since the camera stopped working, I recommend doing so.
- Click the “Start” rectangular icon at the bottom left of the screen, then select “Power”> “Restart.”
- Select the “Start” icon after your device reboots, go through the list of apps, choose “Camera,” and grant access to the camera.
If the camera runs in the Camera app but not with the app you are attempting to use, you must allow access to the specific app in settings.
Other Ways To Fix Your Camera In Windows 10
- Antivirus Software Is Blocking Access To The Camera
Sometimes antivirus software can block access to your camera. Go to your antivirus software settings and check if any settings block your permission to use or access the camera.
You should be able to get it right; however, visit the antivirus software company’s website for further assistance if the problem persists.
- Grant Access To Use Camera In Apps
Give the specific app you want to use permission to access your camera. Ensure that “Allow apps to access your camera” is on.
- Go to “Choose which Microsoft Store apps can access your camera” and allow access to the camera for the apps you want to use (only installed apps from the Microsoft Store will appear on this list).
- Roll Back Camera Driver
If you recently updated your PC and the camera stopped working, try doing this:
- Go to “Device Manager” and right-click on the camera you are using. Select “Properties” > “Driver” tab.
- Click on “Roll Back Driver” and choose “Yes.”
- After the rollback is finished, reboot your PC and open the Camera app again.
Some drivers do not have “Roll Back Driver” available, so continue with the next steps below if you cannot try this method, or the rollback did not solve the issue.
- Uninstall the Camera Driver And Scan For Hardware Updates Or Changes
The final solution is to uninstall the camera driver.
- In “Device Manager,” right-click on the camera you are using. Select “Properties” > “Driver” tab.
- Click “Uninstall Device.” Click on the “Delete the driver software for this device” checkbox and select “OK.”
- Open “Device Manager” again, go to the “Action” menu, and select “Scan for hardware changes.”
- Wait while it scans and reinstalls the updated driver. When it is done, restart your PC and try to open the Camera app again.
Conclusion – How To Test A Webcam In Windows 10
Hopefully, your camera is working properly, and you did not have to try other ways to fix it. However, if you still experience problems, the Microsoft support team suggests that you use the “Windows Feedback Hub” to report a bug. Include the necessary details about the problem.
Go to the search bar and type and select “feedback hub.” Select “Report a problem” and answer the question they provide. Before submitting your feedback, under “Add more details,” select “Recreate my problem”.
Thank you for reading our article on How To Test A Webcam In Windows 10!
- /consumer-reviews/sns-bestreviews-tech-built-in-vs-external-webcam-20210316-dtt47jefmzdcdjyljahou3x7o4-story.html” target=”_blank” rel=”noreferrer noopener”>https://www.chicagotribune.com/consumer-reviews/sns-bestreviews-tech-built-in-vs-external-webcam-20210316-dtt47jefmzdcdjyljahou3x7o4-story.html