Reading the entire Bible in 3 months is an ambitious goal! With clever planning and discipline, it’s completely doable. Here are practical tips to help you read the Bible cover-to-cover in just 12 weeks.
- Read about 3-4 chapters per day
- Use a Bible reading plan to stay on track
- Alternate between Old and New Testaments
- Take notes and reflect on what you read
- Listen to audio Bibles when you can’t read
- Stay accountable with a reading partner
- Pray before you read and ask God for understanding
Choose a Bible Version
The first step is choosing a Bible translation to read. The New King James Version (NKJV) is a great option for easy understanding while preserving the style and language of the original King James text. Other readable translations include the New International Version (NIV) and English Standard Version (ESR). Choose one translation and stick to it through the entire 3 months for consistency.
Get a Bible Reading Plan
Using a Bible reading plan is key to finishing in 3 months. Without a guide telling you what to read each day, it’s easy to fall behind. Here are some great 3 month Bible reading plans to consider:
- The Bible Recap 3 Month Plan – Read 12 pages a day for 90 days. This moves chronologically from Genesis to Revelation.
- Back to the Bible 90 Day Challenge – Read portions from both the Old and New Testament each day.
- Navigators 3 Month New Testament Plan – Focuses just on the New Testament in 90 days.
Print out your reading plan and cross off each day as you complete them. Seeing your progress will keep you motivated!
Set a Reading Goal
To finish the Bible in 12 weeks, you need to read around 3-4 chapters per day. This comes out to about 15-20 minutes of reading time. On days when you have more free time, read 5-6 chapters to get ahead. Just be sure to average at least 3 chapters daily to stay on pace.
Here are some tips to help you meet your reading goal each day:
- Wake up 20 minutes early – Use the morning time before the day gets busy for Bible reading.
- Read during commute – If you take public transit or drive to work, use commute time to listen to an audio Bible.
- Read on your lunch break – Keep a small Bible at your desk to read on your lunch break at work.
- Read before bed – Wind down and reflect on the day by reading a few chapters in bed.
- Use extra time – Squeeze in more reading while waiting at appointments, in line, or whenever you have spare time.
Alternate Old and New Testaments
Trying to read the Old Testament straight through for 90 days can get tedious. Split it up by alternating Old and New Testament readings daily or weekly. Here are some ideas:
- Read OT chapters in morning, NT chapters in evening.
- Read OT for first 3 days of the week, NT for last 3 days.
- Go back and forth each day between an OT book and a NT book.
Jumping between the two Testaments will give more variety and balance to your reading.
Take Notes and Reflect
To get the most out of your Bible reading, take quick notes and reflect on what you read. Get a dedicated Bible journal and write down:
- Key words, verses, or chapters to revisit
- Questions you have to study more
- How you can immediately apply what you read
- Prayers inspired by your reading
- Personal insights God revealed to you
Even just jotting down 1-2 sentences after each reading will help you cement what you learn. Review your journal often to remind yourself of important passages and applications.
Listen While Multitasking
When you’re unable to sit and read, listening to the Bible is a great way to multitask. You can play audio Bibles:
- In the car – Listen during long commutes or road trips
- While exercising – Go through chapters while at the gym or out for a walk
- Doing chores – Play as you cook, clean, do laundry, etc.
- Before bed – Play softly as you fall asleep
The Bible Gateway app provides free audio recordings of Bible translations to download. Find one you like and listen whenever you get the chance. This will drastically boost how much you get through the Bible in 3 months.
Find an Accountability Partner
- Send each other daily texts/emails with your reading for the day
- Meet weekly to discuss what you learned and pray together
- Check in if you notice the other person falling behind
Knowing someone else is counting on you to finish the Bible in 3 months will push you to persevere. You’ve got this!
Pray Before You Read
Before every Bible reading session, take a few seconds to pray and ask God to speak to you through His word. No matter how rushed you are, even 30 seconds of prayer makes a difference! Ask God to:
- Open your spiritual eyes and ears to receive His word
- Increase your understanding and highlight important truths
- Give you wisdom to apply what you’re reading
- Remind you of key verses throughout the day
Prayer attunes your heart to be sensitive to God’s voice in Scripture. Come to the Bible with openness and expectancy.
Stay Consistent, One Day at a Time
Reading the entire Bible in 3 months requires discipline and perseverance. Some days your schedule will get crazy and reading will slide. Don’t get discouraged! Just try again the next day. Taking it one day at a time, you’ll be amazed how quickly 12 weeks pass.
Prioritize your Bible reading time and do your best to stick with your plan each day. Consistency over the long haul is key to finishing in 3 months. Lean on God for strength to maintain focus over the 90 days.
With the right strategy and commitment, anyone can read through the entire Bible in just 12 weeks. It takes around 15 minutes per day. All you need is a reading plan, a determination to see it through, and God’s help. As you embark on this exciting journey through Scripture, approach it with an open heart. God will reveal Himself to you in fresh ways and transform you through His Word of life!