This blog post is perfect for pastors, ministers, and church leaders who are looking to stream videos from their laptops to social media or online in worship. These five amazing HDMI to USB converters will allow you to stream video from your laptop.
- How do I connect my camcorder to my computer?
- How to Choose the Best HDMI to USB Adapters for Live Streaming
- 5 Hdmi To Usb Converters To Use When Live Streaming
- Adapter Reviews
- Magewell USB Capture SDI Gen2
- Elgato Game Capture HD60 Review
- Elgato HD60 S, External Capture Card
- Last note:
How do I connect my camcorder to my computer?
This was the question I faced when setting up our live streaming system for our church. Our camcorder output was HDMI, but our computer had only USB inputs. I didn’t realize we needed an HDMI-to-USB converter.
I found what is known as an HDMI capture card, or device, after searching the internet. It is sometimes called a dongle. You will need one of these HDMI-to-USB converters in order to stream live without an HDMI input.
Viral Believer is reader-supported. We may earn a small fee from products we recommend at no charge to you. Learn More
Your camcorder’s USB port will only work after you have finished recording and not while you are still recording. In my church live streaming guide, I clarify that you should only purchase a camcorder with an HDMI output.
How to Choose the Best HDMI to USB Adapters for Live Streaming
The quality of your live stream and computer equipment will determine the price. Prices range from less than $100.00 up to $500.00.
There are converters available that can capture 4k streams and 1080p streams. It is not a good idea to lower the quality of your live stream in order to produce a quality stream that you can use for your church’s video streaming project.
You also have the option to choose whether you want to use either the USB 2 or 3 inputs on your computer. Although the USB 3 input is more convenient, you can still use the USB 2.
5 Hdmi To Usb Converters To Use When Live Streaming
Two of these HDMI-to-USB converters have been tested by me for live streaming. These reviews will help you make an informed decision about the best option for your church.
Magewell XI100DUSB review
The Magewell dongle has a lot of cool features. It will convert frame rate and de-interlacing real-time using the hardware it already has. Your computer won’t have to work as hard so it won’t slow down when you’re streaming or recording. The Magewell XI100DUSB HDMI has some of our favorite features:
- Video Format This device will determine the input video format. The device will then convert the input format to the desired output size and frame rate. This feature is ideal for those who are new to streaming or recording and don’t know how to convert.
- Audio Formats This dongle will determine the input video format and convert it to the appropriate frame rate and output size. These adjustments are done automatically so you don’t have to make them yourself. The input audio formats are automatically converted into 48 kHz stereo PCM audio.
- Memory This device has 64MB DDR2 onboard storage. This gives you complete control over your frame buffer and eliminates the need to worry about dropped frames or interruptions in audio, video, or other issues. When the USB bandwidth is full.
- Signal – You can stream or record an HDMI signal with the USB 3.0 dongle. You can record or stream at 60p resolutions, which will also take resolutions as high as 1920 X 1200 at 60p.
You don’t need drivers – This dongle is extremely easy to use. It will work with existing drivers on your computer.
Both the pros and cons
We now need to look at what users don’t like most about the video capture dongle. It does have some great features. However, we must not forget about some of the negative comments that users have to say. These are the pros and cons of this dongle.
- Compatibility – We love that this device will work with any software compatible with your current drivers. Even if you don’t have a USB3.0 port, you can still use the USB 2.0 port. Only problem is that the resolution and frame rates will be lower. However, this should not be a surprise if you’re using the 2.0 port.
- Processing – Users love smooth and natural video processing. The dongle supports video input of 1920×1200 at 60p and video output of 1920×1200 in 60p YUY2, as well as video output support for 1920×1200 in 60p YUY2, and 1920X1200 in 60p RGB 24. The dongle performs all these, so they won’t take up much space on your computer.
- Simple to Use – We love this dongle, as do most users. There is no need for additional drivers and it is very easy to use. It is easy to plug and play. It will automatically detect the video and audio formats and convert them to the correct size for output.
- Audio Synchronizing – Some users have reported that the audio does not sync correctly with the video. The delay is noticeable when streaming live or recording.
- Not Working – Customers reported that their product didn’t work properly and had to return the product or get replacements. Many customers stated that they had no problems with technical support or customer service and that all complaints were handled correctly.
- Level Of Difficulty Some users claim that this unit is too complicated for beginners. Although it can be difficult to use, it requires some computer expertise.
Elgato Game Capture HD60 Review
Video producers who want to blog or vlog regularly need the best equipment to capture video. You can capture your video stream in full HD at 1080p and 60 frames per second with the Elgato Game Capture HD60. Elegato will give you perfect image quality and flashback recording, so you can also record retroactively. One-click sharing is possible on social media such as YouTube, Twitter, and Facebook.
Here’s a bit more information about the Elgato Game Capture HD60.
You can enjoy unlimited capture with the Elgato Game Capture HD60, right to your Mac or PC. To make your game capture life-like, you can add overlays and webcam footage to the camera and even use the live commentary feature. Everything you need to game capture includes an Elgato Game Capture HD60, a USB cable, and an HDMI cable. This game capture has some amazing features, including:
- Recording– You can record any footage you like at 1080p resolution and 60 frames per second. Uploading great content will allow you to show off the glory of your church and God.
- Encoder This game capture uses a powerful H.264 encoder. The encoder will take a lot off your computer’s processor, so there won’t be any lag. You can count on the USB 2.0 interface to capture your video footage.
- Small Profile– Although this game capture has many features, that doesn’t necessarily mean it will be large and bulky. This device isn’t much larger than your average smartphone. It is lightweight at just a few ounces. This makes it ideal for recording on the go.
- Multiple tracks – You have the option to record all your webcam footage, video, and audio as separate tracks. Each track can be brought up at your convenience. In case you forget to capture something, you can also record it retroactively to make sure that you have the footage later.
- Editing– This device is portable, so you can edit wherever you go, even while moving. It is simple to upload your work on all social networks or export clips with your favorite editing software. Editing doesn’t need to wait for you to return to your computer.
Both the pros and cons
We have already discussed some of the amazing features of the Elgato Game Capture HD60. There are some issues that users don’t like,, and we need to inform you before spending any money. Before you buy this product, here are some pros and cons.
- Hours of Footage Most streaming cameras don’t allow you to record or share clips. You can record everything and have complete control over what you are recording. This device allows you to record for hours and then edit later.
- Live Streaming This device has a built-in streaming feature that allows you to stream your video for hours. It can be used on YouTube, Ustream, and Twitch. You can add overlays to your stream and a webcam. You can also change the layout of your stream with scenes or add your voice via the Live Commentary Feature.
- Simple to Use This tool is great for beginners as it is very easy to use. The interface and setup are simple. Even novice users can use the software to share and edit great footage.
- System Requirements To use this game capture, you must have the most recent version of Windows (Windows 10 or macOS Sierra). You will need to get a new computer if you don’t have the correct GPU or CPU.
- Recording Glitches Some users have reported that the device cannot record any data, even after updating their drivers and reinstalling the software. Some users have received defective products, so this could be the reason.
There you have it. Any of these HDMI-to-USB converters will work in your church or streaming project if you want to connect your HDMI camcorder to live streaming.
The Startech converter I purchased was the cheapest, but it still does an outstanding job. It will work well for you if you don’t need anything else.
We hope you found this information helpful and helped you understand the differences between video converters. If you have any questions or need advice about which product is best for your situation, please don’t hesitate to contact me!
These converters are easy to use for live streaming. Some of these converters require that you download and install software from their website. You should pay attention to the instructions and you will be fine.
Startech required me to download the software. It worked flawlessly.
We are grateful that you read our article about HDMI to USB converters.
Share With Your Friends
- Get more insights from your Bible study with Logos Bible Software
- Get Special Deals On Christian Books With ChurchSource
- Search For Christian Books On This Topic On Amazon
Viral Believer has been translated from English into 15 of the world's major languages. Learn More