The Bible is a vast repository of wisdom, and it contains numerous verses on various aspects of wisdom, including its nature, benefits, and practical applications. The Bible defines wisdom as the ability to discern what is right and true, to understand and apply knowledge, and to make wise decisions that lead to positive outcomes. Wisdom is often contrasted with foolishness, which leads to poor choices, negative consequences, and spiritual blindness.
This list of 25 Bible verses about wisdom in the New King James Version (NKJV) of the Bible offers a glimpse of the biblical teachings on wisdom. The verses cover a wide range of topics, including the importance of the fear of the Lord, the benefits of acquiring wisdom, the perils of foolishness, the role of wise counsel, the value of humility, and the power of words. By studying and meditating on these verses, one can gain insights into how to live a wise and fruitful life that pleases God.
The Bible teaches that wisdom is a gift from God, and it can be obtained through prayer, study, and obedience to His word. By seeking wisdom and living according to its principles, we can grow in spiritual maturity, make wise choices, and enjoy the blessings of God. As Proverbs 4:7 says, “Wisdom is the principal thing; Therefore get wisdom. And in all your getting, get understanding.”
Bible Verses About Wisdom
25 Bible verses about wisdom in the NKJV version of the Bible:
- “The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom; A good understanding have all those who do His commandments. His praise endures forever.” – Psalm 111:10
- “For the Lord gives wisdom; From His mouth come knowledge and understanding.” – Proverbs 2:6
- “Get wisdom! Get understanding! Do not forget, nor turn away from the words of my mouth.” – Proverbs 4:5
- “Wisdom is the principal thing; Therefore get wisdom. And in all your getting, get understanding.” – Proverbs 4:7
- “The wise in heart will receive commands, But a prating fool will fall.” – Proverbs 10:8
- “When pride comes, then comes shame; But with the humble is wisdom.” – Proverbs 11:2
- “A wise man fears and departs from evil, But a fool rages and is self-confident.” – Proverbs 14:16
- “The simple believes every word, But the prudent considers well his steps.” – Proverbs 14:15
- “The way of a fool is right in his own eyes, But he who heeds counsel is wise.” – Proverbs 12:15
- “In the multitude of words sin is not lacking, But he who restrains his lips is wise.” – Proverbs 10:19
- “He who walks with wise men will be wise, But the companion of fools will be destroyed.” – Proverbs 13:20
- “The tongue of the wise uses knowledge rightly, But the mouth of fools pours forth foolishness.” – Proverbs 15:2
- “A fool despises his father’s instruction, But he who receives correction is prudent.” – Proverbs 15:5
- “The way of the wicked is an abomination to the Lord, But He loves him who follows righteousness.” – Proverbs 15:9
- “The fear of the Lord is the instruction of wisdom, And before honor is humility.” – Proverbs 15:33
- “A soft answer turns away wrath, But a harsh word stirs up anger.” – Proverbs 15:1
- “He who is slow to anger is better than the mighty, And he who rules his spirit than he who takes a city.” – Proverbs 16:32
- “The heart of the wise teaches his mouth, And adds learning to his lips.” – Proverbs 16:23
- “He who heeds the word wisely will find good, And whoever trusts in the Lord, happy is he.” – Proverbs 16:20
- “Wisdom is in the sight of him who has understanding, But the eyes of a fool are on the ends of the earth.” – Proverbs 17:24
- “He who gets wisdom loves his own soul; He who keeps understanding will find good.” – Proverbs 19:8
- “The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge, But fools despise wisdom and instruction.” – Proverbs 1:7
- “He who follows righteousness and mercy Finds life, righteousness, and honor.” – Proverbs 21:21
- “He who guards his mouth and his tongue Keeps his soul from troubles.” – Proverbs 21:23
- “Do you see a man wise in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.” – Proverbs 26:12
In conclusion, the Bible offers a rich source of wisdom for those seeking guidance and understanding in their daily lives. The verses on wisdom in this list provide a solid foundation for developing a wise and discerning spirit. By applying the principles of wisdom found in the Bible, we can navigate the challenges of life with grace and wisdom.
Through the study of these verses, we learn that wisdom is not only about knowledge but also about character, attitude, and behavior. It involves having a healthy fear of God, seeking wise counsel, being humble, and using our words wisely. When we live by these principles, we can experience the blessings of God in our lives.
In sum, the Bible offers a roadmap for wisdom and discernment that is applicable to all areas of our lives. By seeking wisdom and living according to its principles, we can grow in spiritual maturity, make wise choices, and experience the abundant life that God intends for us. As the Apostle James said, “If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask of God, who gives to all liberally and without reproach, and it will be given to him” (James 1:5, NKJV).