Motherhood is a beautiful and divine gift from God that comes with great responsibility and privilege. The Bible has many verses that speak about the importance and value of mothers. From the Old Testament to the New, we see examples of mothers who love and sacrifice for their children, and who play an important role in shaping their lives.
The verses on this list highlight the various aspects of motherhood, including the love and care that mothers provide, the importance of honoring and respecting one’s parents, and the blessings that come from having a godly mother. These verses remind us of the deep and profound impact that mothers have on their children’s lives and the importance of nurturing and cherishing the relationship between mother and child.
Whether you are a mother, a child, or someone who wants to honor and appreciate the mothers in your life, these Bible verses offer encouragement and wisdom. They serve as a reminder of the important role that mothers play in our lives, and the ways in which they can model God’s love and care for us.
Bible Verses About Mothers
- Proverbs 31:28 – “Her children rise up and call her blessed; her husband also, and he praises her.”
- Exodus 20:12 – “Honor your father and your mother, that your days may be long upon the land which the Lord your God is giving you.”
- Deuteronomy 5:16 – “Honor your father and your mother, as the Lord your God has commanded you, that your days may be long, and that it may be well with you in the land which the Lord your God is giving you.”
- Psalm 127:3 – “Behold, children are a heritage from the Lord, the fruit of the womb is a reward.”
- Psalm 139:13-14 – “For You formed my inward parts; You covered me in my mother’s womb. I will praise You, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made; marvelous are Your works, and that my soul knows very well.”
- 2 Timothy 1:5 – “when I call to remembrance the genuine faith that is in you, which dwelt first in your grandmother Lois and your mother Eunice, and I am persuaded is in you also.”
- Proverbs 17:6 – “Children’s children are the crown of old men, and the glory of children is their father.”
- Isaiah 49:15 – “Can a woman forget her nursing child, and not have compassion on the son of her womb? Surely they may forget, yet I will not forget you.”
- Psalm 103:13 – “As a father pities his children, so the Lord pities those who fear Him.”
- Proverbs 1:8-9 – “My son, hear the instruction of your father, and do not forsake the law of your mother; for they will be a graceful ornament on your head, and chains about your neck.”
- 1 Timothy 5:2 – “treat older women as mothers, and younger women as sisters, with all purity.”
- John 19:26-27 – “When Jesus therefore saw His mother, and the disciple whom He loved standing by, He said to His mother, ‘Woman, behold your son!’ Then He said to the disciple, ‘Behold your mother!’ And from that hour that disciple took her to his own home.”
- Titus 2:3-5 – “the older women likewise, that they be reverent in behavior, not slanderers, not given to much wine, teachers of good things—that they admonish the young women to love their husbands, to love their children, to be discreet, chaste, homemakers, good, obedient to their own husbands, that the word of God may not be blasphemed.”
- Colossians 3:20 – “Children, obey your parents in all things, for this is well pleasing to the Lord.”
- Proverbs 6:20 – “My son, keep your father’s command, and do not forsake the law of your mother.”
- Ephesians 6:1-3 – “Children, obey your parents in the Lord, for this is right. ‘Honor your father and mother,’ which is the first commandment with promise: ‘that it may be well with you and you may live long on the earth.'”
- 1 Corinthians 13:4-7 – “Love suffers long and is kind; love does not envy; love does not parade itself, is not puffed up; does not behave rudely, does not seek its own, is not provoked, thinks no evil; does not rejoice in iniquity, but rejoices in the truth.”
- Psalm 22:9-10 – “But You are He who took Me out of the womb; You made Me trust while on My mother’s breasts. I was cast upon You from birth. From My mother’s womb You have been My God.”
- Isaiah 66:13 – “As one whom his mother comforts, so I will comfort you; and you shall be comforted in Jerusalem.”
- Luke 2:51 – “Then He went down with them and came to Nazareth, and was subject to them, but His mother kept all these things in her heart.”
- Ephesians 6:2-3 – “Honor your father and mother,” which is the first commandment with promise: “that it may be well with you and you may live long on the earth.”
- Proverbs 30:17 – “The eye that mocks his father, and scorns obedience to his mother, the ravens of the valley will pick it out, and the young eagles will eat it.”
- Proverbs 23:22 – “Listen to your father who begot you, and do not despise your mother when she is old.”
- Proverbs 19:26 – “He who mistreats his father and chases away his mother is a son who causes shame and brings reproach.”
- 1 Kings 3:26 – “Then the woman whose son was living spoke to the king, for she yearned with compassion for her son; and she said, ‘O my lord, give her the living child, and by no means kill him!’ But the other said, ‘Let him be neither mine nor yours, but divide him.'”
My Final Thoughts On Mothers
The Bible verses about mothers on this list reveal the many ways in which mothers impact the lives of their children. From nurturing and caring for their children from birth to instilling values that will guide them throughout their lives, mothers play a crucial role in shaping their children’s character and future. It is clear from these verses that mothers are highly valued and cherished in the eyes of God.
As we reflect on these verses, we are reminded of the importance of honoring and respecting our mothers, as well as the vital role that mothers play in our lives. Whether we are parents ourselves or simply seeking to appreciate the mothers in our lives, these verses offer guidance and encouragement. They remind us that the bond between mother and child is a precious gift, and that we should strive to nurture and cherish that relationship.
In a world where motherhood is often undervalued and underappreciated, these Bible verses serve as a reminder of the profound impact that mothers have on their children’s lives. They offer hope and encouragement for mothers who may be struggling, and inspiration for all of us to honor and cherish the mothers in our lives. May we all strive to embody the love, care, and sacrifice that we see in these verses and honor the important role that mothers play in our lives.