Depression is a mental health condition that affects millions of people worldwide. It can be characterized by feelings of sadness, hopelessness, loss of interest, and other emotional and physical symptoms. While depression can be caused by a variety of factors, including spiritual, genetic, and environmental influences, it is essential to seek help if you are struggling with this condition.
As a source of comfort and hope, the Bible offers many verses that can help those who are struggling with depression. These verses provide encouragement, strength, and hope to those who may feel overwhelmed by their circumstances. Whether you are dealing with depression yourself or know someone who is, these Bible verses can offer comfort and support during difficult times.
In this list, we have compiled 25 Bible verses about depression from the New King James Version of the Bible. We hope that these verses will help you or your loved one find comfort and strength during challenging times. Remember that you are not alone in your struggles, and seeking help from a pastor, healthcare professional, or support group can be an essential step toward recovery.
Viral Believer is reader-supported. We may earn a small fee from products we recommend at no charge to you. Learn More
Bible Verses About Depression
- Psalm 42:5 – “Why are you cast down, O my soul? And why are you disquieted within me? Hope in God, for I shall yet praise Him for the help of His countenance.”
- Psalm 34:18 – “The Lord is near to those who have a broken heart, and saves such as have a contrite spirit.”
- Psalm 40:1-2 – “I waited patiently for the Lord; and He inclined to me, and heard my cry. He also brought me up out of a horrible pit, out of the miry clay, and set my feet upon a rock, and established my steps.”
- Isaiah 41:10 – “Fear not, for I am with you; be not dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you, yes, I will help you, I will uphold you with My righteous right hand.”
- Isaiah 43:2 – “When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and through the rivers, they shall not overflow you. When you walk through the fire, you shall not be burned, nor shall the flame scorch you.”
- Matthew 11:28-30 – “Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For My yoke is easy and My burden is light.”
- John 14:27 – “Peace I leave with you, My peace I give to you; not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.”
- Romans 8:38-39 – “For I am persuaded that neither death nor life, nor angels nor principalities nor powers, nor things present nor things to come, nor height nor depth, nor any other created thing, shall be able to separate us from the love of God which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.”
- 2 Corinthians 1:3-4 – “Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies and God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our tribulation, that we may be able to comfort those who are in any trouble, with the comfort with which we ourselves are comforted by God.”
- Philippians 4:6-7 – “Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God; and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.”
- Philippians 4:13 – “I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.”
- Colossians 3:15 – “And let the peace of God rule in your hearts, to which also you were called in one body; and be thankful.”
- Hebrews 4:15-16 – “For we do not have a High Priest who cannot sympathize with our weaknesses, but was in all points tempted as we are, yet without sin. Let us therefore come boldly to the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy and find grace to help in time of need.”
- Hebrews 13:5-6 – “Let your conduct be without covetousness; be content with such things as you have. For He Himself has said, ‘I will never leave you nor forsake you.’ So we may boldly say: ‘The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?'”
- James 1:2-4 – “My brethren, count it all joy when you fall into various trials, knowing that the testing of your faith produces patience. But let patience have its perfect work, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking nothing.”
- James 4:7-8 – “Therefore submit to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you. Draw near to God and He will draw near to you. Cleanse your hands, you sinners; and purify your hearts, you double-minded.”
- 1 Peter 5:6-7 – “Therefore humble yourselves under the mighty hand of God, that He may exalt you in due time, casting all your care upon Him, for He cares for you.”
- Psalm 30:5 – “For His anger is but for a moment, His favor is for life; weeping may endure for a night, but joy comes in the morning.”
- Psalm 34:17 – “The righteous cry out, and the Lord hears, and delivers them out of all their troubles.”
- Psalm 37:23-24 – “The steps of a good man are ordered by the Lord, and He delights in his way. Though he fall, he shall not be utterly cast down; for the Lord upholds him with His hand.”
- Psalm 46:1-2 – “God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble. Therefore we will not fear, even though the earth be removed, and though the mountains be carried into the midst of the sea.”
- Psalm 55:22 – “Cast your burden on the Lord, and He shall sustain you; He shall never permit the righteous to be moved.”
- Psalm 147:3 – “He heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds.”
- Isaiah 26:3 – “You will keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on You, because he trusts in You.”
- Lamentations 3:22-23 – “Through the Lord’s mercies we are not consumed, because His compassions fail not. They are new every morning; great is Your faithfulness.”
Final Thoughts About Fighting Depression
In conclusion, the Bible provides numerous verses that offer hope and encouragement to those struggling with depression. These verses remind us that we are not alone in our struggles and that God is with us, offering comfort and support in our darkest moments. It is important to seek help when dealing with depression, and these Bible verses can be a powerful source of inspiration and motivation for those who may be struggling.
Whether you are dealing with depression yourself or know someone who is, we hope that these Bible verses have provided you with some comfort and strength. Remember that seeking help is a sign of strength, and there is no shame in reaching out for support when needed. With the help of pastors, Christian counselors, healthcare professionals, support groups, and the comfort of these Bible verses, those struggling with depression can find hope and healing.
Share With Your Friends
Get more insights from your Bible study with Logos Bible Software
Get Special Deals On Christian Books With ChurchSource
Search For Christian Books On This Topic On Amazon
Viral Believer has been translated from English into 15 of the world's major languages. Learn More