We are the Body of Christ
The Bible is filled with verses that talk about the church and its importance in the life of a believer. The church is not just a building, but it is a community of believers who come together to worship, pray, and encourage one another in their faith. The verses about the church in the Bible remind us of the significance of being part of a local body of believers and the responsibilities that come with it.
The church is referred to as the body of Christ, with each individual believer being a part of that body. The church is responsible for edifying one another, spreading the gospel, and supporting one another in the faith. These verses encourage us to take our role in the church seriously and to make the most of the opportunities we have to grow in our faith and serve others.
In this list of 20 Bible verses about the church, we see the importance of coming together as a community, the responsibility of each believer to serve and support one another, and the significance of the church in God’s plan. Whether you are a seasoned Christian or someone who is just starting to explore your faith, these verses will provide insight and encouragement as you seek to live out your life in the context of the church.
The word “church” in the Greek language is “Ekklesia” which means “called out ones.” It does not mean buildings or denominations.
It is the people of God who have been called out of the world and called to band together for each other’s mutual benefit. It is meant to be the physical representation of Jesus in this world.
These verses about the church will show this to be true.
20 Great Bible Verses About The Church
- Hebrews 10:25 – “Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as is the manner of some, but exhorting one another, and so much the more as you see the Day approaching.”
- Colossians 1:18 – “And He is the head of the body, the church, who is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead, that in all things He may have the preeminence.”
- Matthew 16:18 – “And I also say to you that you are Peter, and on this rock I will build My church, and the gates of Hades shall not prevail against it.”
- Ephesians 2:19-20 – “Now, therefore, you are no longer strangers and foreigners, but fellow citizens with the saints and members of the household of God, having been built on the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Jesus Christ Himself being the chief cornerstone.”
- Acts 2:47 – “Praising God and having favor with all the people. And the Lord added to the church daily those who were being saved.”
- 1 Corinthians 12:27 – “Now you are the body of Christ, and members individually.”
- 1 Timothy 3:15 – “But if I am delayed, I write so that you may know how you ought to conduct yourself in the house of God, which is the church of the living God, the pillar and ground of the truth.”
- Ephesians 4:11-12 – “And He Himself gave some to be apostles, some prophets, some evangelists, and some pastors and teachers, for the equipping of the saints for the work of ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ.”
- 1 Peter 5:13 – “Shepherd the flock of God which is among you, serving as overseers, not by compulsion but willingly, not for dishonest gain but eagerly.”
- Romans 12:4-5 – “For as we have many members in one body, but all the members do not have the same function, so we, being many, are one body in Christ, and individually members of one another.”
- Galatians 1:13 – “For you have heard of my former conduct in Judaism, how I persecuted the church of God beyond measure and tried to destroy it.”
- 1 Corinthians 14:26 – “How is it then, brethren? Whenever you come together, each of you has a psalm, has a teaching, has a tongue, has a revelation, has an interpretation. Let all things be done for edification.”
- Acts 20:28 – “Therefore take heed to yourselves and to all the flock, among which the Holy Spirit has made you overseers, to shepherd the church of God which He purchased with His own blood.”
- Philippians 1:5 – “For your fellowship in the gospel from the first day until now.”
- 2 Corinthians 8:5 – “And this they did, not as we hoped, but first gave themselves to the Lord and then to us by the will of God.”
- 1 Thessalonians 1:8 – “For from you sounded out the word of the Lord not only in Macedonia and Achaia, but also in every place your faith toward God has gone out, so that we do not need to say anything.”
- 1 Corinthians 1:2 – “To the church of God which is at Corinth, to those who are sanctified in Christ Jesus, called to be saints, with all who in every place call on the name of Jesus Christ our Lord, both their Lord and ours:”
- Romans 16:16 – “Greet one another with a holy kiss. The churches of Christ greet you.”
- 1 John 1:7 – “But if we walk in the light as He is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus Christ His Son cleanses us from all sin.”
- Revelation 2:1 – “To the angel of the church of Ephesus write, ‘These things says He who holds the seven stars in His right hand, who walks in the midst of the seven golden lampstands:'”
Final Thoughts About The Church
In conclusion, these 20 Bible verses about the church are a reminder of the vital role that the church plays in the life of a believer. From being a source of encouragement and support to being the vehicle for spreading the gospel and making disciples, the church is an integral part of God’s plan for His people. It is a place where believers can come together to worship, learn, and grow in their faith, and it is a place where they can serve others and make a difference in the world.
As we read and reflect on these verses, we are encouraged to be active participants in our local church and to fulfill our responsibilities as members of the body of Christ. We are also reminded of the importance of seeking out and being part of a church community that is faithful to the teachings of the Bible and is committed to living out its faith in a way that honors God.
In the end, the church is not just a place to attend, but it is a living, breathing organism that is made up of individual believers who are all working together to advance the Kingdom of God. May these 20 Bible verses about the church inspire and encourage you as you seek to grow in your faith and fulfill your role in the body of Christ.