Losing a loved one is one of the most difficult experiences anyone can face. Grief is a powerful emotion that can be overwhelming and all-consuming. During these times of mourning, many people turn to their faith for comfort and support. The Bible offers a wealth of scriptures and verses that can bring solace and peace to grieving families.
This list compiles 15 scriptures from the NKJV version of the Bible that offer words of comfort and hope to those who are mourning. These scriptures remind us that God is always with us, even in the darkest of times. They offer the promise of healing, strength, and peace, assuring us that we are never alone in our grief.
While the pain of loss may never fully disappear, these scriptures can help us find strength and comfort as we navigate the journey of grief. They offer us the promise of hope, reminding us that our loved ones are in God’s loving embrace, and that one day we will be reunited with them in heaven.
Viral Believer is reader-supported. We may earn a small fee from products we recommend at no charge to you. Read Our Affiliate Disclosuree
Scriptures For Grieving Families
- Psalm 23:4 – “Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; For You are with me; Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me.”
- Psalm 34:18 – “The Lord is close to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit.”
- Psalm 55:22 – “Cast your burden on the Lord, And He shall sustain you; He shall never permit the righteous to be moved.”
- Psalm 147:3 – “He heals the brokenhearted And binds up their wounds.”
- Isaiah 41:10 – “Fear not, for I am with you; Be not dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you, Yes, I will help you, I will uphold you with My righteous right hand.”
- Matthew 5:4 – “Blessed are those who mourn, For they shall be comforted.”
- Matthew 11:28-29 – “Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.”
- John 14:27 – “Peace I leave with you, My peace I give to you; not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.”
- Romans 8:28 – “And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are the called according to His purpose.”
- Romans 8:38-39 – “For I am persuaded that neither death nor life, nor angels nor principalities nor powers, nor things present nor things to come, nor height nor depth, nor any other created thing, shall be able to separate us from the love of God which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.”
- 2 Corinthians 1:3-4 – “Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies and God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our tribulation, that we may be able to comfort those who are in any trouble, with the comfort with which we ourselves are comforted by God.”
- 2 Corinthians 5:8 – “We are confident, yes, well pleased rather to be absent from the body and to be present with the Lord.”
- Philippians 4:6-7 – “Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God; and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.”
- 1 Thessalonians 4:13-14 – “But I do not want you to be ignorant, brethren, concerning those who have fallen asleep, lest you sorrow as others who have no hope. For if we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so God will bring with Him those who sleep in Jesus.”
- Revelation 21:4 – “And God will wipe away every tear from their eyes; there shall be no more death, nor sorrow, nor crying. There shall be no more pain, for the former things have passed away.”
In conclusion, the scriptures listed above serve as a powerful reminder that we are not alone in our grief. They offer us the promise of God’s love and comfort, giving us hope and strength to carry on in the face of loss. These verses provide a source of solace for those who are struggling with the pain of losing a loved one and can help us find meaning and purpose in the midst of our sorrow.
As we turn to these scriptures for comfort and support, we are reminded of the power of faith and the enduring nature of God’s love. While the pain of loss may be difficult to bear, we can take comfort in the knowledge that our loved ones are in God’s loving embrace and that we will one day be reunited with them in heaven. These scriptures offer us hope, peace, and healing, reminding us that even in our darkest moments, we are never alone.
In times of grief, it can be easy to feel lost and overwhelmed. However, these scriptures provide us with a roadmap to navigate the journey of mourning. They offer us a source of strength and support, reminding us that God is always with us, even in our darkest moments. May these verses provide comfort and hope to all those who are grieving, and may they find solace in the knowledge that they are loved and supported by a faithful and compassionate God.