Love and forgiveness are two of the most important themes in the Bible. Love is considered the foundation of all Christian teachings, and forgiveness is seen as a cornerstone of God’s plan for salvation and redemption. The Bible contains countless verses that speak of the importance of love and forgiveness, offering guidance and inspiration to believers as they navigate life’s challenges and seek to live in accordance with God’s will.
This list of 15 Bible verses about love and forgiveness provides a sampling of the wealth of biblical wisdom on these subjects. From the classic passage in 1 Corinthians 13 that defines love to the many passages that encourage us to forgive others as Christ forgave us, these verses offer a glimpse into the depth and breadth of the Bible’s teachings on these important topics. Whether you are seeking comfort, guidance, or simply a deeper understanding of God’s love and plan for your life, these verses offer a valuable resource to help you on your spiritual journey.
In today’s world, love and forgiveness are often in short supply. We live in a fast-paced, competitive world where selfishness and anger too often reign supreme. However, the Bible reminds us that we are called to a higher way of life, one in which we love our neighbors as ourselves and seek to forgive those who have wronged us. By meditating on these verses and incorporating their teachings into our daily lives, we can cultivate a deeper sense of love and forgiveness and live more fulfilling, meaningful lives, in accordance with God’s plan.
Viral Believer is reader-supported. We may earn a small fee from products we recommend at no charge to you. Learn More
Bible verses About Love And Forgiveness
Here is a list of 15 Bible verses about love and forgiveness from the New King James Version (NKJV) of the Bible:
- 1 Corinthians 13:4-8 – “Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails.”
- John 13:34-35 – “A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another; as I have loved you, that you also love one another. By this all will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- Romans 12:9-10 – “Let love be without hypocrisy. Abhor what is evil. Cling to what is good. Be kindly affectionate to one another with brotherly love, in honor giving preference to one another.”
- 1 John 4:7-8 – “Beloved, let us love one another, for love is of God; and everyone who loves is born of God and knows God. He who does not love does not know God, for God is love.”
- Galatians 5:22-23 – “But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control. Against such there is no law.”
- Colossians 3:12-14 – “Therefore, as the elect of God, holy and beloved, put on tender mercies, kindness, humility, meekness, longsuffering; bearing with one another, and forgiving one another, if anyone has a complaint against another; even as Christ forgave you, so you also must do. But above all these things put on love, which is the bond of perfection.”
- 1 Peter 4:8 – “And above all things have fervent love for one another, for “love will cover a multitude of sins.”
- Ephesians 4:32 – “And be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you.”
- Philippians 2:1-2 – “Therefore if there is any consolation in Christ, if any comfort of love, if any fellowship of the Spirit, if any affection and mercy, fulfill my joy by being like-minded, having the same love, being of one accord, of one mind.”
- 1 Thessalonians 3:12-13 – “And may the Lord make you increase and abound in love to one another and to all, just as we do to you, so that He may establish your hearts blameless in holiness before our God and Father at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ with all His saints.”
- 1 John 3:18 – “My little children, let us not love in word or in tongue, but in deed and in truth.”
- 1 John 4:19-21 – “We love Him because He first loved us. If someone says, “I love God,” and hates his brother, he is a liar; for he who does not love his brother whom he has seen, how can he love God whom he has not seen? And this commandment we have from Him: that he who loves God must love his brother also.”
- 2 Corinthians 5:17-18 – “Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, the new creation has come: The old has gone, the new is here! All this is from God, who reconciled us to himself through Christ and gave us the ministry of reconciliation.”
- Matthew 6:14-15 – “For if you forgive men their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. But if you do not forgive men their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses.”
- Luke 6:37 – “Judge not, and you shall not be judged. Condemn not, and you shall not be condemned. Forgive, and you will be forgiven.”
In conclusion, these 15 Bible verses about love and forgiveness offer a rich and inspiring glimpse into the teachings of the Bible on these important themes. From the classic passage in 1 Corinthians 13 that defines love to the many passages that encourage us to forgive others as Christ forgave us, these verses offer a wealth of wisdom and guidance to help us live more loving and forgiving lives. Whether you are a seasoned believer or just starting on your spiritual journey, these verses offer a valuable resource to help you grow in your understanding of God’s love and plan for your life.
As we reflect on these verses and seek to incorporate their teachings into our daily lives, we can cultivate a deeper sense of love and forgiveness and become better ambassadors of Christ to the world around us. In a world that too often prioritizes anger and selfishness, we have the opportunity to stand out as shining examples of love and forgiveness, spreading the light of God’s love to all those we encounter.
So let us embrace these verses and the biblical teachings on love and forgiveness with open hearts and minds. Let us seek to live lives of love and forgiveness, and in doing so, bring honor and glory to God, and bring a measure of peace and joy to the world around us.
Share With Your Friends
Get more insights from your Bible study with Logos Bible Software
Get Special Deals On Christian Books With ChurchSource
Search For Christian Books On This Topic On Amazon
Viral Believer has been translated from English into 15 of the world's major languages. Learn More